Saturday, July 25, 2015

Biking across Philly: Independence From The Trodden Path

Biking across Philly: Independence from the trodden path.

 

Across from Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Square one morning in April, I waited for my breakfast at the cafe Parc. Street maps and highlighters covered the table, and my bike helmet sat on the bench next to me.
My go-to meal before a big ride is oatmeal. But when my order arrived, covered with a brittle, scorched-sugar topping and looking as though it had made a detour through the dessert cart, I wondered what other surprises this day would bring.
I folded my maps, vowed to read the menu more carefully next time, fueled up on my sweet oatmeal brulee and set off for a day of pedaling.


The week before I arrived in Philly, the city had launched its new bike-share, called Indego (named for sponsor Independence Blue Cross). The benefit of waiting for dozens of other cities to set up programs first was that Philadelphia could learn vicarious lessons (such as offering a pay-with-cash option, making the bikes accessible to more people) and, presumably, take time to improve bike lanes and fix potholes.
Arriving as a bike-share novice, I thought this would be a groovy way to check out a few new city parks and public spaces along the Delaware River to the east, the Schuylkill River to the west and the 30-block Center City in between. I walked toward the row of electric-blue, two-basket bikes on the opposite side of Rittenhouse. Online, I’d signed up for a $15 one-month membership, which bought me free rides for up to an hour. So all I had to do was swipe my credit card and tap a few buttons on the touch screen for the docking system to unlock a bike. I adjusted the seat, checked my watch and headed east toward the Delaware.


 
Indego is Philadelphia’s new bike-share service, and patrons can rent by the trip or by the month. (Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)


Flanked by the Walt Whitman and Benjamin Franklin bridges, the section of the Delaware River waterfront accessible to tourists is largely industrial. William Penn, who sailed up this river in 1682, might rub his eyes in disbelief if he saw the transformation underway today.
Spruce Street Harbor Park is one of the most popular new spots — a summer pop-up with a roller skating rink, hammock garden, floating barges, shuffleboard and boardwalk concessions that converts into an equally charming ice skating park in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment