Friday, March 5, 2010

...a humble start; Around The Corner

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show...(the opening lines of David Copperfield as written by Charles Dickens;inspired by MTM). Or at least this ACCOUNT will, perhaps, have a reflection on whether I'm going to be the hero in my own life...this is a song for you, so far away, so far away, from me. James Taylor

It was a year ago, this week that I sent this, as a humble gesture, to make an effort to put together a 40 Year Class Reunion for those of us whom graduated from Bishop Fallon High School in 1969. The poem was given to me by a dear friend, from my grade school days, back in 1991. I immediately found the words meaningful, and the message compelling. And while the responsibilities and complexities of life tended to get in the way of the traditional mileposts that I was passing through in my life, I finally decided that...no-time-is-a-good-time-that-is-why-right-now-is-the-best-time. So around this time in 2009, I decided it was appropriate---to make a reunion, happen. The results---were overwhelming!!!!! And I'm going to use the term 'side-bar' here because I'm sure, at least, Jimmy Scime is going to get a big charge out of this. I had a feeling I was onto something that would develop and gain momentum. And I got this feeling because right after I sent this to those of the community that I at least had email addresses on at the time, I received a very very animated 'side-bar' anecdotal response---from Jimmy Scime!!!! Of course, like Sally Fields---when she won her Oscar(Oh My God---it is the Oscars this week-end!!!), I thought...they're listening!!!! They're listening!!!!! And I believe, to this day, that the main ingredient to this success was the content and context of the poem.

Because of that,I want to thank my dear friend who originally sent me this Poem. Know that this Poem has been my driving-force to bring together those people whom have become essential to me. Whether on an individual basis, or as a collective group, know that I will always treasure these now stronger and deepened friendships. For those of you who decided to become a part of this
noble effort----from the bottom of my heart, I sincerely thank you.


This is the poem:



Around the
corner I have a friend,

In this great
city that has no end,

Yet the days go
by and weeks rush on,

And before I
know it, a year is gone.

And I never see
my old friends face,

For life is a
swift and terrible race,

He knows
I like him just as well,

As in the days
when I rang his bell.

And he rang
mine but we were younger then,

And now we are
busy, tired men.

Tired of
playing a foolish game,

Tired of trying
to make a name.

'Tomorrow' I
say! 'I will call on Jim

Just to show
that I'm thinking of him.'

But tomorrow
comes and tomorrow goes,

And distance
between us grows and grows.

Around the
corner, yet miles away,

'Here's a
telegram sir,' 'Jim died today.'

And that's what
we get and deserve in the end.

Around the
corner, a vanished friend.






Remember to
always say what you mean.

If you Love someone, tell them.



Because when YOU decide that it is the right time, it might be too late.


--{-=@
Hickok




No comments:

Post a Comment