Friday, October 8, 2010

WHAT DO WE DO NOW...It Will Come To Us

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show...(the opening lines of David Copperfield as written by Charles Dickens;inspired by MTM). Or at least this ACCOUNT will, perhaps, have a reflection on whether I'm going to be the hero in my own life.

Living in the wrong place wrong time
Searching for the things you couldn't see
I could never stand in your light
But at least you noticed me
Living in the wrong place wrong time
Choked about the things you'll never do
But if it makes it easier on your life I'm on my way
I'm on my way------Radiance~~~Athenaeum

What Do We Do Now...
...It Will Come To Us.

The closing remarks in the movie~~~
MEET JOE BLACK.

And once again, I face that question. After several months of AmeriCorps Buffalo volunteers at The Belle Center trying, through letter writing and phone calls to representatives, to secure a source of philanthropic funds from somewhere, to keep out-reach alive, The Belle Center has decided that many of the programs are to no longer exist. With limited funds and a limited volunteer-staff, the After-School Program and the Day-Care Program will continue to run. But programs, such as The Portal Program, that I volunteered in, will be phased out. As one of the Directors of the AmeriCorps Buffalo Program proffered to justify the sweeping move, "we are seeing all of our AmeriCorps volunteers going to college anyways."

While that is not entirely accurate, it is the disposition that is, at least for now, the underpinning that is supporting the decision to discontinue The Portal Program.

So~~~What do we do now?? For starts, I strap on that mantra of mine, and~~~find the energy to overcome, and~~~win everyday.

Stepping off of the metaphysical cloud, into reality, I start 'working' leads. The first one that was presented, was done so laced with a bit of an irony to it. While finishing off the Wednesday evening of fun and fellowship at Casa Di Pizza, my cell phone rings. I recognize from the ID that it is the Director of the Portal Program calling. He is calling~~~to give me the news about the Portal Program discontinuing as of 25 October 2010. While he is giving me the bad news, there is at least a-lead; and the promise of a letter-of-recommendation to go along with it. The lead!?!? It is an out-reach organization for refugees, seeking haven and asylum in the United States, on the East Side of Buffalo, whose funding is partially underwritten by The Catholic Charities. The name of the Non-governmental organization(NGO), is Vive La Casa. At Casa di Pizza, I'm made aware of Vive La Casa!!! I have to believe that there is some method to such madness!!!

In the angst, frustration, and uncertainty of this phone conversation, there still existed an atmosphere of assurance.
That was provided for me by two of my oldest and dearest friends that were still present with me in the alcove area of THE CAZ. While Bob was there giving reassuring eye-contact, Maria was doing the same and intermittently scrambling to place pen & paper in front of me to jot down names and notes as Michael was continuing to explain cause, effect, and referral information.

Little gestures as these can help an uneasiness be better coped with. It is a blessing to have
such genuine articles whom are with you as you are immersed in your Garden of Gethsemane.

That assuring nod of the head, and that hand resting on the shoulder had me know~~~I was not alone.

Your job won't take care of you, as Regina Brett once wrote. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
Around the Corner...
--{-=@
Hickok
The Promise

No comments:

Post a Comment